minimum security - общий режим
medium security - строгий режим
maximum security - усиленный режим
Exercise 1.Answer the questions:
1. What generalizations can we make about modern prisons?
2.What measures are undertaken to prevent escapes?
3.What types of prison crime do you know?
4.What has prompted many countries to separate their penal institutions into categories?
5.Is there any classification within a prison?
6.What is it grounded on?
7.When can an offender's time in prison be reduced?
8.What other privileges can be received by prisorners almost in all penal institutions?
Exercise 2.Are these statements false or true? Correct the false sentences.
Translate the sentences into Russian Vocabulary notes:
1. In minimum-security prisons, the task of maintaining physical custody of the prisoners is usually given the highest priority.
2. In order to forestall all types of prison crime, the inmates are subjected to rules governing, every aspect of life.
3. The need to maintain security within prisons has prompted many countries to separate their penal institutions into categories.
4. Within a prison, the inmates are never classified into any categories.
5. An offender's time in prison can rarely be reduced as a reward for good behaviour.
Exercise 3.Match the following English expressions with their Russian equivalents:
1) breach of prison a) промышленная тюрьма
2) closed prison (тюрьма Vocabulary notes, где заключенные работают
3) industrial prison в цехах, мастерских)
4) open prison b) бежавший из тюрьмы
5) prison bar с) бежать/совершить побег/ из тюрьмы
6) prison breaker d) быть приговоренным к тюремному
7) prison education заключению
8) prison lawyer е) отбывать срок в тюрьме
9) prison term f) перевоспитание или обучение
10) prison ward заключенных (профессии) в тюрьме
11) to be sent to prison g) побег из тюрьмы; побег из-под стражи
12) to do one's time (in prison) h) тюремная камера
13) to escape from prison i) тюремная решетка
j) тюремное заключение, тюремный
k) тюремный юрист
l) тюрьма закрытого типа
m) тюрьма открытого типа
Exercise 4.Put the verb in brackets into correct tense and translate sentences into Russian:
1.Convicted offenders (assign Vocabulary notes) to a particular category on the basis of the seriousness or violent nature of their offence, the length of their sentence, their proneness to escape, and other considerations.
2.The need to maintain security within prisons (prompt) many countries to separate their penal institutions into categories of maximum, medium, and minimum security.
3.Younger offenders usually (hold) in separate penal institutions that provide a stronger emphasis on treatment and corrections.
4.Barred cells and locked doors, periodic checking of cells, searches for contraband, and detailed regulation of inmates movements about the prison all (undertake) to prevent escapes.
5.An offender’s time in Vocabulary notes prison usually (reduce) as a reward for good behaviour and conscientious performance at work.
Exercise 5.Fill the gaps with preposition for, in, to, at and articles a, an, the:
1.… offender’s time … prison is usually reduced as .. reward … good behaviour and conscientious performance … work.
2.…. need … maintain security within prison has prompted many countries… separate their penal institutions into categories of maximum, medium, and minimum security.
3.…. privilege of receiving visits from family members and friends from … outside world exists … almost all penal system.
4.Barred cells and locked doors, periodic checking of cells, searches… contraband, and detailed regulation of inmates Vocabulary notes movements about … prison are all undertaken… prevent escapes.
5.Younger offenders are usually held… separate penal institutions that provide .. stronger emphasis on treatment and correction.
6.…. all but minimum- security prisons, … task of maintaining physical custody of … prisoners is usually given … highest priority and is likely… dominate all other concerns.
7.Within .. prison, …. inmates are often classified into several categories and housed … corresponding cellblock according … …. security risk posed by each individual.
Exercise 6.Retell the text “Present-day Penal Institutions”.
Text 4Prison Inmates